Thursday, May 17, 2012

Jazz concert/Garden/Protests

Last week was la Feria de los Libros, which was a giant book fair sent up in the Plaza with concerts, performers, and puppet shows. One day while shopping, Cait and I walked by to witness a one man band. A couple days later, I was surprised to hear of a live jazz concert. It was a beautiful night of jazz, gelato, tinto verano (a summer wine combo), and some yellow shorts. :) Sadly, blogger won't accept the cool video clips I took. So...my jazz segments will be posted on facebook eventually.




I carved LT in the table at O'Haras....shhhh...



Tinto Verano





Every Sunday people go to a giant market by the river people called "El Rastro". They have everything. Clothes, underwear, jewelry, watches, bags, shoes, makeup, sunglasses...there were rows and rows of tents. There was even a food booth for when you got hungry while shopping.

I am incapable of handling technology and accidently deleted my pictures from here AND some from the garden. So here are some courtesy of my lovely roomie, Cait:


SWAG. Kids here are dressed SO cute!





My literature class went on a literary walk of Salamanca. I had to return to take pictures. It was actually really cool. One place in particular that I liked was La Huerta de Calixto y Melibea. It's a garden named after the story Celestina. Calixto is a rich noble obsessed with the idea of Melibea, but because she shrugs him off, he can't let go. Celestina is a witch that manipulates and persuades Melibea to help Calixto and fall in love....but I forget her motive. Regardless, the garden is beautiful:






SALAMANCA has their very own love locks :)








Celestina





Random stuff during walk. (First few are courtesy of Cait):


Protesting in the Plaza




"The utopias of today are the reality of tomorrow. Dream and fight."


Crazy street cleaner. That tube is a giant vacuum that they rotate around the car
 to suck up random trash as they speed by.








On an unrelated note, my roommate Cait is leaving me tomorrow morning to backpack around Europe for the next month. I have NO IDEA what I would've done without her. Definitely would have freaked out by now. She is amazing and has quickly become one of my best friends. A friend that, I can honestly say, I see myself keeping in touch with for the rest of my life. Good luck, Cait. Thanks for everything. I love you and will miss you a lot. I'll see you soon though. Just...on the other side of the pond :)


No comments:

Post a Comment