This past Saturday, my API study away group took a trip to Peñafiel, Spain for a winery and castle visit. I was pleasantly surprised at how pretty and "homey" this subtle town was/felt. First, we had the tour and wine tasting at Protos winery. Then had an INSANELY large lunch at a delicious restaurant, followed by a tour of the Castle of Peñafiel.
But BEFORE the winery tour, we had some down time and some friends and I went to a little bar and got some coffee, coke...whatever. The little old owner seemed to like us and handed us some snails from the "tapa" window we were peering into for free. I was the only brave sole to accept the challenge. But...then I enlisted some friends from across the room to try with me. :)
 |
These are bígaros. Small black snails. The big white ones have a different name and are more "gross" (so says my host mom) |
 |
| Here we go! Look at those brave faces |
 |
| Sign on the right is the bar |
 |
| Here's a view of the Castle of Peñafiel from the winery |
 |
| Here's the winery from the front! I may have been obsessed with the architecture... |
 |
| The pathway containing these barrels on both sides went for 2km |
 |
| Real old section. Walls were carved with pickaxes! |
 |
| More modern section |
 |
| Protos! |
 |
| Distribution set-up. Check out the ceilings. |
 |
| Cait and I being classy wine tasters :) |
 |
| Discovery: I do not like wine |
 |
| Sidenote: we got to keep the glasses :) |
 |
| Mini spoon at lunch! |
 |
| The attempt |
 |
| The success. But bad weather came and went. |
T'was a fun day with a big group of friends. Pretty little town, free stuff, unreliable weather...good times.
No comments:
Post a Comment